Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Crocker Chair Co. Rocking Chair

Question
Crocker Chair
Crocker Chair  

Label
Label  
Hello Robert,

I picked this chair up at an auction and am wondering  how old it is, what it is worth in its current condition and how to repair or restore it to retain or improve its value.

There is some damage on the seat itself, where some of the wood has chipped off on the edge in a little chunk, and there is also one of the screws that holds the seat to the support bar, that has come undone from the seat piece and is no longer snug. I am hesitant to try to tighten it myself, because I don't want to risk the wood splitting.

As for what model it is, all that I know is that it has a partial Crocker Chair Company label on the bottom and is marked "23" in white chalk or wax pencil on the bottom, which may or may not have been added later.  This is why I ask you, the expert. :)

Thanks,

Betsy

Answer
From the little wood grain i can see it appears to be oak.  Probably made around 1890-1900.  Check the screw carefully to see if it appears to be original and not a replacement.  If original get a screwdriver that fits in the slot an tighten.  if the hole is wallowed out and the screw will not tighten then remove it and put some wooden toothpicks in the hole and re-tighten the screw.  

Buy briwax in a dark oak color and take about and hour or so and wax the chair, in a week do it again.

as it is it is worth what you paid, waxed and screw tightened this rocker would price in a retail store at 250-350.

a good old stylish rocker with a good back that is comfortable.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein