Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Davies-Putnam

I need some information and I'm hoping you can help. Can you tell me anything about the Davies-Putnam Company out of Grand Rapids, MI? I have a piece (secretary) built by them and all I can find is that they were in business from 1912 to 1922. I was told they were later absorbed or purchased by Stuart Co. I'm not sure where else to turn, so I'm reaching out to people who may know more. If this is not something you can help with, please let me know and I will keep doing my search.

Dawn - A brief entry in the book "Grand Rapids Furniture - The Story of America's Furniture City" by Carron states -

"Davies-Putnam - 1912-1922
Manufacturer of the "Gift Line" vases, stands, and other novelties;the "Tape-O-Lite" match holder ash tray; and occasional tables, tea carts, desks and dining sets in period reveival styles.
Predecessor to Stuart Furniture Co."

It also says "The Public Museum of Grand Rapids has a significant collection of trade catalogs of this company."

"Stuart Furniture Co - 1922-1929
Manufacturer of walnut, mahogany maple and decorated (painted) bedroom case furniture in Early American, Louis XVI, Duncan Phyfe and Colonial Revival styles."

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida