Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Huntington Corporation Desk

Hi, i have what i think is an antique desk by the Huntington Chair Corporation West Virginia and I was just wondering if it is indeed a nice piece to hold on to and what it might be worth.

"antique" pertaining to antique furniture is 100 years.  this is rather restrictive so i prefer antiques and collectibles as this allows pieces like yours which are mid 20th c to be included.

The 100 year issue was due to a tariff bill passed in congress in 1930 stating that certain objects made prior to 1830 were to be considered antiques.  Hence the 100 year rule.  Coincidentally, the Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act furthered the depression according to many scholars.

Anyhow, mid century in this style is becoming quite collectible and this one is quite nice.  As to value, I deal in older furniture but have seen furniture such as this sell at prices last year around 500.  i would keep it and wax it with a good furniture paste wax like briwax or johnsons floor paste wax every few years.

thanks, hope this helps.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971