Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Huntington Corporation Desk

Question
Desk
Desk  

Nameplate
Nameplate  
Hi, i have what i think is an antique desk by the Huntington Chair Corporation West Virginia and I was just wondering if it is indeed a nice piece to hold on to and what it might be worth.

Answer
"antique" pertaining to antique furniture is 100 years.  this is rather restrictive so i prefer antiques and collectibles as this allows pieces like yours which are mid 20th c to be included.

The 100 year issue was due to a tariff bill passed in congress in 1930 stating that certain objects made prior to 1830 were to be considered antiques.  Hence the 100 year rule.  Coincidentally, the Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act furthered the depression according to many scholars.

Anyhow, mid century in this style is becoming quite collectible and this one is quite nice.  As to value, I deal in older furniture but have seen furniture such as this sell at prices last year around 500.  i would keep it and wax it with a good furniture paste wax like briwax or johnsons floor paste wax every few years.

thanks, hope this helps.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein