Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Illinois Cabinet Secretary

I inherited this Secretary desk, it has a label in the drawer that says Illinois Cabinet Rockport, ILLINOIS.   It has a china type cabinet on top with 2 side drawers and a drop desk, inside are cubbies and 3 drawers, underneath a full width drawer.  On ornate legs.  Was wondering for insurance purposes what this item is worth, when it was made and if it is called a secretary or not.

This is from the 1920s in the Jacobean style.  wood appears to be mahogany, walnut and sweet gum.

I have not seen one of thee before but if in a shop it would sell at 800=900.
for insurance replacement value I would say 2200-2600.  remember, when doing insurance replacement values they are at least double retail.

hope this helps

upper would have been books or china.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971