Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Library Table

Bow Front Desk
Bow Front Desk  

Library Table
Library Table  
Hi there! Thanks so much for volunteering here! I have a desk and library table that a friend would like to purchase from me. I can't remember what I paid for them and I want to be sure to ask a fair price. The library table has a tag that says H. P. Robertson Co. Jamestown, New York. I did not see a maker on the desk. It has a curved front and on one side it has been modified to fit a computer (i'm sure thats probably not a good thing).  I would very much appreciate your help and any information you might have about age/value of these. Thanks again!

Laura - Your library table is actually a davenport table. It was made in the Depression era of the 1920s and 1930s for use behind a “davenport,” the name used for sofas in that period. Most davenport tables of the period had face veneers on the tops of walnut, mahogany or rosewood. The balance of the table was made of a secondary wood, usually red gum, the universal secondary wood of the first half of the 20th century. The primary makers of davenport tables were Mersman Brothers and Kiel Furniture. Some davenport tables were extension tables that could be pulled for extra dining or serving space.

Davenport tables sell at auction in the $100 range.

I could not see enough detail in the photo of the desk. If you can send me some clear digital photos of the desk as well as any labels I will be happy to tell you what I can. You can send clear photos to me as .jpg files at Please send the photos directly to me as .jpg files. DO NOT put them in an online photo album. Be sure to include a copy of your original inquiry so I can match them up or I will not be able to respond.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida