Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Maddox couch back table

Question
maddox table
maddox table  
I just picked up a couch back table at a second hand store.  It has a Maddox Table company sticker.  It looks like it could be an older piece but I just want to make sure that it is not the Ark of the Covenant before we paint it.  Any ideas?

Answer
Tony - Your table is called a “davenport” table. It was made in the Depression era of the 1920s and 1930s for use behind a “davenport,” the name used for sofas in that period. Most davenport tables of the period had face veneers on the tops of walnut, mahogany or rosewood. The balance of the table was made of a secondary wood, usually red gum, the universal secondary wood of the first half of the 20th century. The primary makers of davenport tables were Mersman Brothers and Kiel Furniture. Some davenport tables were extension tables that could be pulled for extra dining or serving space.

Davenport tables like yours, today called sofa tables, sell at auction in the $100-$200 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor