Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Michigan Chair Co. - Chair Inquiry

Question
Hall Chair
Hall Chair  
Hi Fred,
I appreciate that you have significant expertise in American antique furniture, and would like your expert opinion of the vintage and value of a Michigan Chair Company hall chair (photo attached).  This interesting piece of furniture has been in my family for several generations.  The stain finish is somewhat weathered, and I am considering removing the stain to expose the natural oak.  I look forward to your comments.  

Dave.

Answer
David - Your hall chair is a "face" chair from the very early part of the 20th century. You did not mention the description of the Michigan Chair Co label but from that period it should be a circle with the name of the company on the perimeter and the words "Chairs and Tables" in the center. Around 1911 the words in the center were changed to "Chairs and Hall Furniture" and by the 1920s the label was Old English script underlined by a ribbon.

The photo does not look like oak but its hard to tell in a photo. The front lower curved panel is most likely molded plywood and probably is made of birch. I probably would not disturb that old finish unless there is family pressure to do so. Once it is gone it can never be recovered.

The entire concept of "hall furniture" is a very serious Victorian subject with lots of boundaries and rules. A good discussion of the subject can be found in the book "Death in the Dining Room and Other Tales of Victorian Culture" by Kenneth L. Ames. It is available on Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/Dining-Victorian-Culture-American-Civilization/dp/15663933

Your chair would sell at auction in original condition in the $200 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor