Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Old rocking chair

rocker 1
rocker 1  

rocker 2
rocker 2  
Hi Robert,
Please find the attached photos of a rocker that has been in my family for  at least 80 years.  I wish to find out the manufacturer and approximate age / value of this piece. I have not found any identifying marks on it anywhere. My mother had it refinished some years ago :O
Thank you for your time and consideration!
Best regards, Nick

Because there were about 5000 manufacturers operating at this time, without a label there is no way anyone can tell you who manufactured this rocker.

it is oak, it is a good one, the refinishing looks good and is good if the rocker is tight an smooth that is a good thing.

the seat and back are laminated in a caul to get the shape.

Figure about 1900 and at retail in a store it should price at 450 minimum.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971