Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Slider Table Info.

Question
X stamp
X stamp  

Slider extension
Slider extension  
Hi Fred,

My wife and I have had this table for several years and were thinking about refinishing it to bring it back to "life." Before we do that I was hoping to get a little background information about the table. I can't seem to find any markings other than a stamped "X" (noted in one of the pictures) in two locations on the underside to the table.

Thank you for your assistance.

Chris

Answer
Chris - Your table is a draw leaf table where the leaves are "drawn" from under the main top. The form was one of the earliest forms of extension tables from the 1600s. The form was resurrected during the Depression era of the 1930s for use in dining furniture of the period when housing space was limited.

Your table appears to have "Colonial" style turnings on the legs indicating it is a factory made piece from the 1930s. The wood is oak. It has no antique or collector's value.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor