Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Desk

QUESTION: Hello. I have had this claw/ball foot desk for approx 20 years and it was in my brother-in-laws family before that. Inside one of the drawers is a label from the Mahogany Association with #204 on it.  Can you give me a approximate age of the desk and what is value would be?  I understand it is not in great condition.  I do have  the little piece that is not attached in the pic which should be on the right side of the opening where a chair would fit .  Although I love this desk, I do not have room for it in my new home and I was hoping to sell it. Thank you in advance   Pictures attached

ANSWER: Please use the followup function and post a full view picture of the desk.
Thank you

QUESTION: Sorry, I did not attach full view last time

Desk was made in Mt. Airy, NC according to the mahogany association number.

It is in the Chippendale style made around 1920-1940.

as it site it would sell at 100-200 but if restored properly, and i stress properly it would sell at 800$.

thanks for the added picture.

hope this helps  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971