Collectibles-General (Antiques)/chatelaine??

Question
Back
Back  

Front
Front  
I was given this piece when I was a little girl about 52 years ago from a lady that worked in a second hand store. I have been trying to find out if it is a part of an chatelaine or is it something else. The height is about 2 1/2 inches and width 2 inches. Has latch to open from the back and purple stone on the front with chain attached. I cannot find any markings on the piece. Would love to find out more about it. I have attached a few picture. Hope you can help me.

Answer
Hello Jen,
Thank you for your query and for including images.
The piece most definitely was part of a chatelaine.  Without actually seeing it in person it is hard to really say with certainty but could it be a small change purse?
If so, it was probably part of a dance chatelaine that might have included a small note book (celluloid or ivory sheets to write on) along with a small pencil and perhaps a button hook.
Irene

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Irene Schwall