Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Coin Operated Antique Horse

We purchased a converted coin-operated antique horse circa 1958.  It has been converted to electric and does work.  Horse is steel, has real leather saddle, but is in need of refurbishing (paint job, mane hair, etc.).  We are in the process of selling our retail feed/tack store and the buyer wants to know if this very popular riding horse will go with the store.  We have no idea what it is worth.  We paid $1,500 for it about 7 years ago.  Any info. you can share with us would be appreciated.

Hi Shelley,

I can't really add much, it sounds to me that someone kind of built this to be a riding horse like the coin operated ones. So, I would guess that makes it a one and only maybe? Value I would guess could be more, could be less then what you paid for it, and I would not try to push it too hard as it is not an original real antique with a commercial history. It does sound neat and classy but value is really up in the air here as really, it is kind of homemade right? When looking for ride history, type in: "Kiddy rides" and adjust it after that like maybe "kiddy horse rides" and you will find a ton of information on these coin operated rides. As for value, whatever you have to have and whatever the buyer will pay is the formula you're going to have to use on this one. An original very old coin operated kiddy ride like "Sandy the horse", restored can sell like 3,500.00 or a lot more. Unrestored maybe sell for 1,500.00 or less. So do a little research under kiddy horse rides and that might help you decide on a price to start at. Sounds interesting and I wish I could see a photo of it.

Thank You
Rodger Knutson

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Rodger Knutson

I am an expert on old coin operated machines, slot machines, trade stimulator's, jukeboxes, old arcade machines, etc. I have been identifying these for people who respond to my web site listed below, for a few years now. In almost all cases I am able to tell them about their old coin operated machines, the year, the value, and other general information about their machines. I do not know much about soda vending machines, coin banks, or scales, but I will try to help you with these if I can. Please email photo's to: My web site is at:

I bought my first slot machine, a .50 Cent Mills Black Cherry in 1969 and have been hooked from that time, I still have that Slot machine! Before that I found a open barrel full of old scraped jukebox wall boxes behind a restaurant, I wanted them all but never took a one of them. Anything that took a coin drove me nuts!

C.O.C.A. and other slot and coin operated machine groups, associations, groups, and clubs.

Many, the Coinslot magazine, always juken, Coin Slot Journal, Slot Box Collector, and others that I don’t remember at this time.

Graduated from Ballard High School in 1969, went to Edison Technical Collage for a couple of years taking welding and metal fabrication, tig, mig, heliarc, also arc and gas welding and fabrication. Then Apprenticed under a slot machine technician who worked in the slot machine industry Reno Nevada, and set up bar poker progressive machines in the casino's, and repaired machine and did the repairs on slot machine circuit boards there. He also was involved in the 2 hand dealer's market and bought and sold machines at the casinos auctions for the secondary market, which includes selling used machine overseas. I learned a ton from this man; he always had the correct answers and took the time to teach me the business. My interest and knowledge in other and older coin operated machine is for the most part, self-taught. It's been my passion from back in 1968 and before, my thirst for knowledge about these machines has kept me more interested over the years, and keeps me searching for more information even today. I have meet and talked to book authors on these machines, attended hundreds of coin operated shows and auctions, and I stay with that to this very day.

Take a look at my allexperts rating, and my guest book, links to these are at Also you can check my 100 percent rating on ebay, as I have been there with ebay from their day one, I am user coinslots at ebay. My other awards come from the very people that I deal with, I always make them happy, no matter what it takes, but they always are happy anyway as the countless thank you letters testify to me, so I know I am doing right, and the best I can. I have found so many hard to find parts for people, I hunt them down and don't stop until I find what is needed to get that customers machine running again and back to life, that is my main goal.

Client privacy prevents this answer, as some are VIP and famous and I will not betray the trust.