Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Dining Room Set

buffet and arm chair
buffet and arm chair  
We have a dining room set that was given to us 40 years ago by my aunt. There is no identification on it other than a partial label referencing the Manufacturers Building in Grand Rapids, Mich. I am interested in any opinion as to approx. age or any other info. I am not trying to sell it, but if there is an estimate to value I would have interest in that. The table to pull out for leaves, but we have no leaves. We have 5 chairs, 1 being an arm chair (shown in a photo), so I believe at some point a chair did not make it. We have had it refinished which I know is not a recommended thing for value, but looks much better for our use.  One picture also has an armoir in it, but that is not part of the set, nor my question. Thank you for your time and input.

Having this refinished properly would and did not hurt.  Many folks like things lighter.  this should be of walnut veneers and sweet gum woods.  Manufactured in the 1920s in the Jacobean style or colonial revival style both are correct.

table and chairs in a retail setting would bring 2-250 per chair and 750-900 for the table, sideboard would bring 750.  all this is in shop retail pricing.

hope this is what you needed

would you please use the followup function and post a picture of the label--thanks

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971