Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Doernbecher furniture

Question
Buffet
Buffet  

Stamp
Stamp  
I recently bought a piece of Doernbecher furniture that I believe to be a buffet or sideboard. I have no intention of selling it, but would love to know the story and value. I will email photos to the address above. Thanks!

Answer
Rachel - Frank Silas Doernbecher worked in Portland, OR from the late 1890s to at least World War II making medium quality bedroom and dining room furniture.

Here is information on the company.
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Oregon-116/f/DOERNBECHER-MANUFACTURING-COMPANY.htm

Your cabinet is a Colonial Revival reproduction of Federal period buffet of the early 1800s. The drawer and door pulls are Hepplewhite style. George Hepplewhite was an English designer whose work was popular in the United States in the late 1700s and early 1800s Federal period. He is best known for his design of the oval drawer pulls of the period that bear his name.

The cabinet is made of crotch cut mahogany veneer and secondary woods. Crotch cut veneer is cut from the intersection of a large branch with the trunk or the intersection of two large branches. That creates the "flame" or "feather" pattern seen in the veneer.

It was probably built in the late 1930s to late 1940s. It would sell at auction in the $100-$200 range.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor