Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Heywood Wakefield Chair

Question
Heywood Wakefield chair
Heywood Wakefield chai  

Heywood Wakefield chair
Heywood Wakefield chai  
"Hello Ms. 'Wicker Woman".  I hope that you may be able to help me in determining the age and value of this darling HW chair because...I have tried searching and searching for some answers and have found none!  In fact, I'm beginning to believe that I'm the only one on earth with one like this! ha  but really, can you help? Please, thanks. :)"

Answer
Hi Lesley,

What a lovely, original stained and lacquered finish Heywood-Wakefield chair you have there! Most likely if you remove the upholstery on the seat, you will find evidence of, if not the actual, close woven pressed cane seat. These cane seats are also called "machine caning" and "cane webbing."

But this particular "close woven" sheet cane has no holes, it looks more like a fabric. This is the type of cane webbing that always went in the seats of fancy wicker pieces, so as not to distract the eyes from the beautiful embellishments and curlicues.

Although your chair is heavily adorned with curlicues and the serpentine back, reminiscent of the Victorian era, it was made in or after 1921. The celluloid manufacturer's label on the back signifies it was made during that time, because in 1921 the Heywood Brothers and Wakefield Company of 1897, changed their name to the more simplistic Heywood-Wakefield Company.

Many of the more popular design elements were carried over from one decade of manufacturing to another. So it was not uncommon to see designs of the early 1900s continuing on into the next 10-20 years, as is the case with yours.

If you would like to get a certified appraisal with complete and more extensive details, you can order your appraisal from wicker author and certified appraiser, Richard Saunders. Contact him through my National Furniture Repair Directory under the Wicker category at http://www.WickerWoman.com/furniture-repair-directory

And for hints, tips and how-to articles, see my website and subscribe to my Weavin' Wicker Woman Blog for more!

Donations are appreciated and help me to continue to share my knowledge here!  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

The Wicker WomanŽ-Cathryn Peters