Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Heywood Wakefield Chair

Question
Heywood Wakefield chair
Heywood Wakefield chai  

Heywood Wakefield chair
Heywood Wakefield chai  
Hello Fred.  I hope that you may be able to help me in determining the age and value of this darling HW chair because...I have tried searching and searching for some answers and have found none!  In fact, I'm beginning to beleive that I'm the only one on earth with one like this! ha  but really, can you help? Please, thanks. :)

Answer
Lesley - Your chair is a vanity chair used as a bench to a vanity. The style of the chair is very old school, from the 1880s-1890s, but the label tells a different story.

The company was formed in 1897 by the merger of Wakefield Rattan and Heywood Brothers & Co. to form Heywood Brothers & Wakefield Co. It used the factory in Chicago of a Heywood subsidiary company named Heywood & Morrill to get started as a new venture.

In 1921 Heywood Brothers & Wakefield Co acquired the Lloyd Manufacturing Co of Marshall B. Lloyd who invented the loom equipment to weave wicker. All of the existing companies were liquidated at that time and reorganized as an entirely new company Heywood-Wakefield.

That means your chair with the H-W label was made after 1921 but probably before 1930.

Similar wicker furniture is shown in the book "Fine Wicker Furniture 1870-1930" by Tim Scott, Schiffer Publications.
http://www.amazon.com/Fine-Wicker-Furniture-Tim-Scott/dp/0887402313/ref=sr_1_1?s  

Here is a very similar chair that sold at auction in 2013 for $150.
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/19110991_heywood-wakefield-wicker-vanity-chair

Thanks for writing.

Lelsey - I was disappointed with your ranking of my knowledge an 8 out of 10. I gave you the style of the chair, some history of the company, the definitive range of manufacture dates, a solid research resource and a comparable sale. What more do you want? A refund?

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor