Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Jennings slot machine

Question
slot machine
slot machine  
QUESTION: Hi,
I recently acquired a Jennings Club Chief Tic Tac Toe 10 cent machine.
I was wondering what the average number of spins are to hit tic tac toe. I probably played about 700 dimes, and haven't hit yet. the coins are filling up the jackpot.
The funny thing is, the machine pays out 18 dimes when the tic tac toe appears on the reels, but not across the middle line, where the normal play is. Is that normal?
does it sound like the jackpot is disabled?
Thanks again,
Steve

ANSWER: Nice machine Steve!

The payout slides on these old mechanical machines are only capable of paying out 20 coins on all mechanical slots. So tick-tack-toe anyway should pay 18 coins, I think it is 18 coins. So, to me sounds like all the tick-tack-toe combinations work on your machine except the jackpot combination, which lines up straight across the pay line. So when this happens does it still pay you the 20 coins like it should on the jackpot tick-tack-toe? I believe on this machine tick-tack-toe in any position pays 18 and on the center line it pays the jackpot of 20 coins Plus what is in the jackpot. It causes the JP to trip and dump its coins. So any other then the jackpot combination tick-tack-toe combinations will cause all payout slides to retract to payout position EXCEPT the top payout slide. The jackpot tic-tack-toe across the center line will pay 20 coins and cause all the slides to retract to payout position including the top slide, the top slide retracting is what will trip the jackpot. As the top slide goes into the machine for payout it allows the JP trip linkage to spring down and trigger the jackpot. So, on any tick-tact-toe payout except the center line you should see all the slides retract under the coin tube to the payout position except the top payout slide, on the jackpot: across the payout line, you should see all the slides retract under the coin tube. Try setting up those two combinations and see what the payout slide stack looks like, send photos if you like to:

Info@Coinslots.com

Notice:
Dime Machines: The new dimes are thinner, lighter, softer, bend and squish down easier, and ware down faster than the old silver dimes that this machine was made to use, so if sometimes you get shorted a dime or two or it gives you an extra one or two, don't worry about it, as this is common with dime machines and there is not much you can do about it unless you want to use all real old silver dimes in the machine. On some dime machines you can use a variance payout card, which will read: old card: three plums pay 14,
Variance card will read: three plum pays 13-to-15 which fix's the problems of being shorted or over paid a coin or two. This was Watlings idea and it was a way to put an end to miss pays.
Also remember the new dimes are very light so they may not slide all the way down to the payout cup, the next payout might push a stuck coin down to the cup so this can be confusing the count. Waxing the inside of the payout cup and payout shoot my help them slide down better, maybe.

Thank You
Rodger Knutson
http://www.coinslots.com

QUESTION: Hi,
To test the jackpot, I need to manually turn the reels.
Remove the back cover, Put a dime in the machine and pull the handle. Once the reels start in motion stop the clock with your hand/fingers (This is the Fan looking thing that is spinning in the back) Once you stop the clock simply line up the reels that you want and release the clock. "Jackpot!"
Is this the correct way? I don't want to lose all the payout amounts.
I found 2 things obvious.
1. the top spring in the back left bottom corner of the mechanism was disconnected.

2. the piece in the front bottom left of the case has a metal bracket over it which it looks like it should be screwed to the side of the case, but just moves freely.
I also circled those 2 in red.
Is there any way to tighten the chain?
I thought I had the mechanism pretty clean, but the camera pictures proved me wrong!

Answer
Hi Steve,

YES, this is the correct way to test the payouts by stopping the fan on the clock after the reels kick off, line the reels up and then let the fan turn (slowly if possible) so you can be sure each wheel index's where you want it, once the third reel is locked, just let it go.

OK, you talk about the top spring: lower left of the back of the machine, is this the top spring going to the top payout slide, because if it is, this is maybe the only reason you have never had a jackpot. If the top slide has no spring it cannot retract, if it can't retract it cannot allow the jackpot to be tripped. Photos would help on that you asking about in front, can you send some? Yes on tightening the escalator chain, but be careful with that, don't get it tight, it needs to have just little slop to work cleanly. On the left chain sprocket looking at it from the back, under that chain sprocket "MOUNT", there are two screws holding that sprocket wheel and mount in place, loosen those a tad, and you can move the sprocket to the left tightening up the chain if the chain is not wore out and stretched too far. We have a super manual on these Jennings chiefs which can be extremely helpful but it has not been listed on our website manuals, if interested in that manual, drop me a note and I will tell you about it. Send any photo's to: info@coinslots.com

Thank You

Rodger Knutson
http://www.coinslots.com

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Rodger Knutson