Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Klein Bros Knickerbocker cedar chest on top of drawers

Chest and drawers
Chest and drawers  

Chest and drawers
Chest and drawers  
I have a Klien Bros piece of furniture. It has a cedar chest on top of two drawers. There is a copper colored medallion on the inside of the chest which clearly identifies it as Klein Bros Knickerbocker. The inside of the chest is in excellent condition. The outside is in fair and the legs are in need of some professional help. I was just curious of an estimated value. I have not been able to locate one for comparison that has the drawers beneath it.

That is an interesting cedar chest of drawers and I haven't seen one just like it either. But there were many types made and it is hard to find another one just like many of them that I've seen. While I do see a variety of the old cedar chests, it is hard to give a good estimate of the value of one without having comparable items to compare with. Usually the cedar chests of the more common types without the drawers will sell in the range of about $250 to $400 if in very good condition.  I have seen a couple in the past with one drawer and several with compartments and small drawers within the inside lid.  The condition is very important to the value and it does lower the value of course when there are any parts or hardware missing or damage to the finish, feet, etc. But all of those things can be repaired or corrected by the right person. Based on all of that, I would estimate the retail value of this chest to be in the range of about $300 to $500 in most areas. You may be able to take pictures to antique dealers around your area to get other opinions. Of course dealers would not usually tell you the full retail value of items.  I hope that helps some.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.