Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Marquetry Dresser

Question
Dresser
Dresser  

Chest Drawer
Chest Drawer  
I purchased the 2 pieces in 2000 from an older lady-in her 70s-that said they belonged to her grandmother from up north. So I am assuming the furniture can be from the early 1900s? I am curios to know if you can identify a particular period and or manufacturer. In addition, maybe a ballpark figure of how much they are worth? They are missing the original hardware. In advance thank you for your time.

I. Mihovilovic

Answer
We generally see this style, sort of a blend of French and Chippendale styles in the 1900-1920 era.

As you already know this is of the highest style, woods and veneers.  The veneers are walnut stump and flame grain, cut and applied specifically to generate the striking book matched grain.

As to a manufacturer, there is no way anyone can tell you without seeing a label as there were about 5000 in operation at the time.

As to retail values, due to the high quality I would have a selling price in a retail setting of 1500-1800 for the pair shown.

Have you looked in all drawers and on the back to find a manufacturers mark??

Thanks
hope this is what you needed

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein