Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Mcdougall Cabinet.

Question
Mcdougall
Mcdougall  
Hi there,
My grandfather recently passed down to me his grandmothers "hutch" as he called it.
I was trying to determine the age of it.However some years ago my grandmother and he had it painted so I was having a hard time finding a makers mark.I did eventually find one partial one the had Mcdougall co on one of the latches.I have searched and searched the internet for one similar put can't find one.Most of the latches and nearly all the original hardware have been replaced over the years and I'm wanting to restore it.It has two large doors on the bottom with two drawers,porcelain top,the top has a roll up door,small door where sifter is (under the flour thing) and two more cabinet doors on top.I was just curious if maybe you could help me determine the year it was made?

Answer
Shelby - Your cabinet falls in the broad category of "Hoosier" cabinets, so called because most of the major manufacturers were located in Indiana. Hoosier Manufacturing Company was one of the most prolific makers of these cabinets but not the only one by far.

When I first read your question I thought this was going to be easy, just go to my main reference book on Hoosier cabinets by Phillip D. Kennedy entitled simply "Hoosier Cabinets".
http://www.amazon.com/Hoosier-Cabinets-Philip-D-Kennedy/dp/0962283118/ref=sr_1_1  

I would go the section on McDougall and pick out your cabinet. Didn't work out that way.

There was no McDougall cabinet that matched your exact arrangement of doors, drawers, tambors, etc. In fact there is no match at all in the book by any manufacturer. I suspect your cabinet was an off brand made for one of the mail order companies of the period and at some point some McDougall hardware was used. Or it could be a McDougall model that was not widely distributed and is not publicized.

I went to an auction results site with over 400 Hoosier cabinets that have sold in the last few years and found only one that looks like yours.
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/4213466_art-deco-hoosier-style-cabinet  

Unfortunately it doesn't give any information on the manufacturer or the date. However, the style, Art Deco, pretty well dates the cabinet to the mid 1930s.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor