Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Old Chest

My husband surprised me with an old chest bought in an antique shop. It is an amazing trunk. But my question is... How old is it? There are no numbers except on the lock which is a Eagle Lock Company. The number is 8441 and is stamped on the bottom on the lock. I am really interested in this Chest. It's about 2 feet deep. And fully lined in fabric.

1920 trunks
1920 trunks  

That trunk is an American made trunk from around 1920 to the late 1930's based on the hardware styles. The trunk is wood covered with vulcanized fiber and brass plated hardware and lock which was used on most of these trunks.  They were general purpose travel trunks for men and women and made by quite a few companies in the U.S. Many were lined with printed paper and better ones were lined with fabric.  It's great that you have the original tray with the folding lid. The trunk appears to be in excellent condition.  The 8441 on the lock is the key code in case you want to find a replacement key, which can still be found. Eagle lock company made many types of trunk locks until about 1954. I'm attaching a page from a 1920 trunk catalog from Totty Trunks in Petersburg, VA, which made similar trunks.  Enjoy your trunk!

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.