Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Trunk Inquiry

Question
Antique Flat Top Trunk
Antique Flat Top Trunk  

Inside the Lid
Inside the Lid  
Hello! I recently started to prep this very large trunk for a project and discovered an interesting "36/89" written in pencil as I was scraping the preexisting interior paper. I have been unable to locate any other markings or writing on this trunk and have stopped doing anything with it until I found out more information. Can you help me?

Answer
Hi Cameryn,

I've seen many similar markings inside or sometimes on the bottom or exterior (under the canvas or leather covering) of a trunk. Most of the time I found that it was the size (width of the front) and a model number.  Is this trunk 36" wide or close to that?  If so, that's probably what they were marking when cutting the wood, the size and model of the trunk.  I can't think of anything else it would mean and it shouldn't keep you front doing more work on the trunk.  Based on the hardware styles on your trunk it's a type that was made from around 1910 or later.  
Marvin  ThisOldTrunk.com

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller