Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Advise for cleaning Heywood Chair

Heywood Brothers and Wakefield Photographer Chair
Heywood Brothers and W  
I have purchased a Heywood Wicker Photographer's chair. I was surprised to see gold when I opened the shipment. Is there a way to determine if this is gilded or if someone decided to spray paint? Need advise how to proceed. Chair is solid, just dirty.
Red and white label on bottom says:
NO 1712-5
Heywood Brothers and Wakefield Company
New Yorkm N.Y. U.S.A
Thanks, Ann

If it were gilded with eithe real or dutch gold you would see the seams where the gold leaf was applied.

So, someone painted this, and it appears that is was over the orignal green.  it has a wonderful look.

I urge you to only use a paste wax like johnsons floor paste wax to clean this.

a spectacular chair.  just follow the directions on the can.  should take at least 2 hours.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971