Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Age of my dresser

Antique dresser
Antique dresser  

Carved pattern
Carved pattern  
I have had this dresser for years (not the first owner), I like it's antique Asian style. In a recent position move, an old Chinese coin ( KongXi dynasty, 1700ac) dropped out. In it's back, the label shows that it is made by Bernhardt Furniture, at N Carolina and sold by J H Wiley at SF, Ca. Is it possible this one is imported by Bernhardt in the 19 century from China?

Jizhe - Bernhardt was founded in Lenoir, NC in 1889. The company specialized in making sturdy oak furniture for use in New York, Chicago and major metro cities around the country. There is no evidence that Bernhardt imported anything. Here's the history.

From what I can see of your cabinet it is a 20th century Colonial Revival reproduction of a Federal era cabinet.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida