Collectibles-General (Antiques)/AMI D 80 conversion

I have found, bought, restored and rebuild a beautiful AMI D 80 Jukebox.
I live in the Netherlands so our electricity is 220 volt 50 cycle.

As you know the AMI D 80 was originally design for 60 AND 50 cycle electricity, so I placed a transformer in the julebox. (220 volts in - 110 volts to the jukebox)
The entire jukebox works fine, Elvis just sounds like a drunkerd because the cycles are of by 10 cycles.

The AMI D 80 manual simply states for conversion you only have to replace the 60 cycle pulley with the 50 cycle pulley (part # F-1915) and replace the short drivebelt with the slightly langer belt drive (part # F-2143).
I did just that, but Elvis still sounds like a tenor who had too much to drink.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you

Hi Rudolf,
I am not sure just what is wrong but I know something happens with the D 80 over time that makes it slow down a bit and they do have this issue. John (jukebox city, closed up now) and Harold "Doctor know it all" as he was called, made a kit at some time to address this issue, but this was many years ago. Harold's website is here: Harold wrote a lot of repair books under the name of Dr. Know it all and I am sure you can still get these, and I also am sure that one of these will address this issue. Here is where you can order the right book for your machine from his series: I believe this one here covers you D 80: I looked at the index of this book and it covers a D 80 on 50 cycles and slow running motors on D 80's. I really think that this book would be worth the investment for you and hopefully help you solve this problem. If you can't find this book on your side of the pond, try to order it here and if for some reason they don't want to ship it, just let me know and I will help you, I could order it for you and ship forward to you if there is any problems. Sorry I don't have the answer for you right off the top of my head but I don't work very much on jukeboxes any more, as slot machine repairs take up all my spare time now days.

Thank You
Rodger Knutson

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Rodger Knutson

I am an expert on old coin operated machines, slot machines, trade stimulator's, jukeboxes, old arcade machines, etc. I have been identifying these for people who respond to my web site listed below, for a few years now. In almost all cases I am able to tell them about their old coin operated machines, the year, the value, and other general information about their machines. I do not know much about soda vending machines, coin banks, or scales, but I will try to help you with these if I can. Please email photo's to: My web site is at:

I bought my first slot machine, a .50 Cent Mills Black Cherry in 1969 and have been hooked from that time, I still have that Slot machine! Before that I found a open barrel full of old scraped jukebox wall boxes behind a restaurant, I wanted them all but never took a one of them. Anything that took a coin drove me nuts!

C.O.C.A. and other slot and coin operated machine groups, associations, groups, and clubs.

Many, the Coinslot magazine, always juken, Coin Slot Journal, Slot Box Collector, and others that I don’t remember at this time.

Graduated from Ballard High School in 1969, went to Edison Technical Collage for a couple of years taking welding and metal fabrication, tig, mig, heliarc, also arc and gas welding and fabrication. Then Apprenticed under a slot machine technician who worked in the slot machine industry Reno Nevada, and set up bar poker progressive machines in the casino's, and repaired machine and did the repairs on slot machine circuit boards there. He also was involved in the 2 hand dealer's market and bought and sold machines at the casinos auctions for the secondary market, which includes selling used machine overseas. I learned a ton from this man; he always had the correct answers and took the time to teach me the business. My interest and knowledge in other and older coin operated machine is for the most part, self-taught. It's been my passion from back in 1968 and before, my thirst for knowledge about these machines has kept me more interested over the years, and keeps me searching for more information even today. I have meet and talked to book authors on these machines, attended hundreds of coin operated shows and auctions, and I stay with that to this very day.

Take a look at my allexperts rating, and my guest book, links to these are at Also you can check my 100 percent rating on ebay, as I have been there with ebay from their day one, I am user coinslots at ebay. My other awards come from the very people that I deal with, I always make them happy, no matter what it takes, but they always are happy anyway as the countless thank you letters testify to me, so I know I am doing right, and the best I can. I have found so many hard to find parts for people, I hunt them down and don't stop until I find what is needed to get that customers machine running again and back to life, that is my main goal.

Client privacy prevents this answer, as some are VIP and famous and I will not betray the trust.