Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique (?) Sewing rocker

Question
Sewing rocker
Sewing rocker  
A friend gave me this rocker many years ago and said it was from the late 1800's. The seat is cane and the back is turned spindles.   Was wondering if I could get some info on this beautiful piece.

Answer
Joan - The low armless rocker became popular in the late 19th century as a chair devoted entirely to the feminine tasks of sewing and nursing. It was included as a standard part of many late 19th century bedroom suites. This custom continued through the Depression era of the 1930s.

Your chair is probably turn of the century since it is made of birch with a walnut or mahogany finish. The cane appears to have been replaced at some point. Chairs like yours sell at auciotn in the $30-$50 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor