Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Berkey & Gay Buffet

Question
B&G Buffet
B&G Buffet  

B&G Buffet
B&G Buffet  
I recently picked up this Berkey & Gay buffet at my church's annual antique sale. I would like to bring it back to life, but didn't know where to start. It does have a few scratches on the top and the finish has dulled over the years. What is the best way to go about bringing new life to such a beautiful piece? Thanks so much for all your help!

Answer
It's hard to recommend things to do without seeing them in person but first I would clean the piece with Mineral Spirits which will remove any dirt, wax, etc. Once dry, you may see a white haze, don't worry. Get yourself some gel stain lighter then the piece is and go over the scratches and legs. If it's to light, give a second coat. When your happy with it, use a wipe on poly in a satin and go over the whole piece, wait a few days, then enjoy.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Anderson's Restorations-Rob Anderson