Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Berkey & Gay Buffet

B&G Buffet
B&G Buffet  
B&G Label
B&G Label  
QUESTION: I recently picked up a Berkey & Gay buffet at my church's annual antique sale. I did a little research into Berkey & Gay, but wasn't able to find a lot of information. Would you be able to provide a little more background on the piece regarding age and value? It needs some TLC, but it seems to have great bones, and it was such a beautiful piece that I couldn't bare to leave it. Thanks so much for all your help!

ANSWER: Stephanie - Berkey & Gay was one of America's most prominent furniture makers. Located in Grand Rapids, it was the mainstay of quality furniture making for many years. Here's the history of the company.

The round metal emblem, first used by B&G in 1905, is the indicator of the age. The emblem varied over the years. The emblem in your cabinet was used from 1905 to 1929. Your buffet was made in the mid 1920s. It is a Colonial Revival reproduction of a Federal period piece of the early 1800s. It is made of walnut veneer and walnut solids. The hardware has been replaced with inappropriate style and period pieces.

In its current condition it would sell at auction in the $100-$200 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

QUESTION: Thank you so much for the information. Do you think it is possible to find original hardware or at least hardware that would be appropriate for the style/period? Thanks again for all your help!

Stephanie - Finding original hardware would be tough but period style hardware would work. Since the piece is a reproduction of a Federal piece, Hepplewhite oval pulls would work well. Here is an example.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida