Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Bought at a yard sale

Chest drawers
Chest drawers  
QUESTION: We bought this set at a yard sale but can't find anything really saying where it was made or any information. Just curious about its age and what it is made of. There is this piece, I call it a chest/dresser, the bed and a vanity. Thank you for any help!

ANSWER: use the followup function and post picture of vanity and footboard

Close up of the chest
Close up of the chest  
QUESTION: Here is the vanity. Will take a photo of the foot board tomorrow. I also included a closeup of the top of dresser/chest.

This is a very nice set, not common or standard grade.

As to where it was made, there were about 5000 manufacturers in operation in the 1910-20s when this was manufactured so without a label no one can tell you who made it.

dont know what you paid so i am hesitant to say what i think it would sell for in a shop but for the three pieces, bed, vanity and chest figure about 1500 if in good condition.  I recommend you use only a good paste wax, no oils.  Briwax or johnsons floor paste wax are good ones.  expect to take a few days to wax properly.

hope this helps

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971