Collectibles-General (Antiques)/dinning set

Question
dinning set
dinning set  

dinning set
dinning set  
I bought this set and I dont know much about it! I found a date on the runners of the table. I want to know more about it. It only has 5 chairs and im wondering what u think about the chance of me finding extra chairs! ! please help me :)

Answer
Chantel - The set is from the Depression era of the 1930s. The style is part of the Colonial Revival period of American furniture when styles from our colonial past were reproduced. The style reproduced in your set is called Jacobean named for King James I of the early 17th century. The Latin term for James is Jacob. The style is readily identifiable by the large bulb turnings on the legs. It was popular in the American colonies in the late 17th and early 18th century and was revived for use during the Depression era of the early 20th century.

Most dining sets of this period had only five chairs. It was the Depression and this was one way of "cutting back." Te chances of finding a matching chair are very slim.

The set is made primarily of walnut veneer and secondary wood. It was factory made, probably in the Midwest.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor