Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Gilner Rooster cookie jar

I recently found a Gilner Rooster Cookie jar with G-622, on the bottom also is  handwritten into the jar the words by Verdice  and  1974. Everything I read says it burnt down in the late 50's. Is it possible they were still making pottery in 1974? Thank you for taking time to read this.

Thanks for the question.  It looks like operations ceased around 1958 for Gilner but like many potteries that go out of business for one reason or another, some of their molds are purchased by other interested parties and pieces continue to be made today.  A good example is Rookwood pottery.

Although I couldn't find any specifics on that possibility, my guess is that some of the molds/patterns continued to be produced in limited quantities throughout the 60's and seventies.  I hope that answers your question.  Please feel free to let me know if you have any further questions.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Dennis Wolbach

I endeavor to answer all questions relating to the "identification" of American Art Pottery from the period of roughly 1880 through 1920. I specialize in the area of arts & crafts period pottery but do not limit myself specifically to that time period.

I have 20+ years experience buying, selling and identifying American Art Pottery both on the web, to private clientele and in a brick and mortar shop in Massachusetts.

Masters degree in Education.