Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Grand Rapids S.F. Company chair back

Question
front view opera chair
front view opera chair  

manufacturer
manufacturer  
Mr. Klein,  I got your contact information from Diana Barrett of the Grand Rapids Historical Commission.  I purchased this chair back in Oklahoma City, Ok.  I was able to find some information about the Grand Rapids School Furniture Co. and am hopeful you can identify the origin of this piece.  I was curious what the CR stands for and am more interested in the history than the value. There is a patent date of Apr. 13, 86 on the back of the chair. Thank you for your time.  Arlene Fuller

Answer
Grand Rapids School Furnitre Co
Grand Rapids School Fu  
What a wonderful find!!!

Not CR but GR for Grand Rapids.

I do not quite understand the question as to 'origin of the piece', it was made in Grand Rapids.  When we see a patent date we can assume that the item on which the date is printed or cast is the very earliest it can be.  When we see multiple patent dates, which is not present here, then the latest patent date is the earliest the object could have been manufactured. A safe guess it that an item with the patent date is probably made within a few years of that date but keep in mind that the best and most accurate way is to find the exact item date, a difficult chore but fun, it to locate the identical item in a catalog of that company.  Many catalogs are digitized these days although difficult to ferret out.  One day I intend to spend a week in Grand Rapids reading as much as possible an seeing as much as possible while there.  A H Andrews in Chicago and Minneapolis School Furniture also did elegant items like this one.also one of the many companies that produced

As you can see, the back of your chair piece contained an upholstered pad at one time.  Although these were advertised originally as opera seating, auditorium seating there is really no way to know the original location to which this was shipped or whether it was in an opera house, a school auditorium, or other institutional hall.

I have located a picture of the chair, it took awhile but thought you might like to see it.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein