Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Rocking Chair

Rocking Chair
Rocking Chair  
QUESTION: Hello Michael,
Hoping you can shed some light on a rocking chair My wife and I recently purchased. We know nothing about it and there are no markings on it we can see. Attached is a photo of the rocking chair. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you kindly.

ANSWER: At first glance this looks like a 19th century American victorian period rocking chair (circa 1880), I would need to see a photo of the underside of the chair seat and a detailed photo of the carving on the center of the top of the chair.

This looks like a very beautiful rocking chair.

rocking chair
rocking chair  
rocking chair
rocking chair  
QUESTION: Here are the photos you requested.

ANSWER: This looks like an original just as I thought, I only find it strange that the bottom of the chair looks like it has antique wax applied, this could mean that the chair was restored recently.  I confirm my analysis.  Bravo , nice rocker.

QUESTION: Michael,
Could you possibly give us some sort of value of this rocking chair?
Thank you kindly.

It is very difficult to give an exact value, you can find these type of rocker in vintage furniture dealers for around $200 dollars, and you can find them in antique dealers for $500 dollars. In big fancy antique fairs you can find this type of rocker for $800 to $1000.

The price can vary if the patina is original or if it was restored and they used antique furniture wax to give a false patina. I can only tell the difference between an old patina and a new patina by looking at it closely with my own eyes, not with a photo.

I hope this helps.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Michael Andrew Wilson

I will attempt to answer questions about European Antique Furniture and 20th Century Decorative arts and Design furniture, including 18th century & 19th century construction details, style, period and the craftsmen and manufactures that created them, I will also attempt to answer questions about buying European Antiques and how to become a expert collector, my speciality is French, Italian, English, Irish, Spanish, Belgium, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, German, and Swiss.

Since 1995, I have been, a professional art, antiques and design advisor and earned an unparalleled reputation for providing select clients: expertise in making informed purchase decisions for antiques and art acquisition from a wide range of categories and eras. Architects, interior designers, decorators, dealers, museums, collectors and private clients rely on me for a wide variety of services. I specialize in finding and facilitating the purchase of some of the most notable pieces in the market today. And because I know the market so well –including the secret locations where the world's best dealers purchase their stock – I are generally able to do this at a significant saving of both time and money. My service includes: creating collecting and acquisition strategy including organizing personally guided buying trips throughout the International art and antiques markets, pre-shopping research, sourcing, analysis of markets, documentation and expert appraisals, handling, shipping and delivery coordination. In short, everything my clients need to be assured of the most knowledgeable, reliable, and pleasurable sourcing, acquisition and collecting experience. My approach is to offer maximum transparency. You can visit my website at:

Moving to Paris in 1989, I worked, for five years as an Interior Design Project Manager for Polo Ralph Lauren where I helped to plan and open more than 60 Polo stores and showrooms across Europe and purchased antiques for one of Mr. Lauren's homes and as a result I oversaw the purchase of millions of dollars of Art & Antiques, this experience gave a unique qualifications to understand the complexities of this market and gives me a rare insight into the professional antique & art market. I also have taught “Furniture Design and Style” at the IESA (Institute Arts Superior) in Paris. and have a personal archive of over 170,000 photos of Furniture and 160 hours of video of the major European art and antiques fairs including: Paris’s Biennale des Antiquaires , Maastricht’s TAAF , and London’s Grosvenor House. Some of these videos can be see at:

I have a prestigious international clientele of noted business and entertainment figures as well as some of the word’s most important collectors, References are provided for serious enquires.