Collectibles-General (Antiques)/steamer trunk

Hi I have this trunk and would like more information omit. Such as who made it when and if it has any value. Thank you

1911 Trunk
1911 Trunk  
Your trunk is a style that many American and some Canadian trunk companies made from the late 1890's to about 1920. It's wood covered with canvas and has hardwood slats and had leather straps to help secure the lid, in addition to the two metal latches and lock. Since many companies used the same hardware and made nearly identical models it's not possible to tell who made it unless there is a paper or metal label on it. But many of these trunks are found without a label of any kind. These had one or more lift out trays inside also. They were made in a variety of sizes and models for men and women. Many people remove the old canvas and refinish the wood which usually looks very nice if carefully finished.  I see some of the canvas is already removed from the front. without seeing the interior and complete trunk, I can say that this style trunk will usually sell in the range of about $75 to $150 in unrestored condition. There are exceptions of course when a trunk is a rarer style or has very unusual hardware, etc.  I'm attaching a page from a 1911 trunk maker catalog which shows a similar trunk and you can see how they described it. This was only one of a couple dozen models this company made. Some had flat tops and others had slightly rounded tops, both were common styles. More expensive models were covered with leather or had more elaborate interiors. I hope that information helps.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.