Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Trunk

Front of the trunk
Front of the trunk  

I received this trunk from my mother who received it as a wedding gift in 1943. I have looked all over the trunk and cannot find any name of the company who made it. The inside conatains a "shelf" that is lined with paper as well as the bottom of the trunk. The flip top is not lined. It also has four wheels on the bottom. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

trunk was made around 1890-1910.  originally would have been covered with leather or canvas.  the hardware looks good.  check closely for a name on the lock, it is not unusual for the trunk to have no name or makers label.

pictures are not clear enough for me to tell you more including what to do to brighten it up.

use the followup function and post good clear picture of outside and of interior

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971