Collectibles-General (Antiques)/United Furniture Corporation

Question
United Furniture Corporation
United Furniture Corpo  

United Furniture Corporation
United Furniture Corpo  
I am looking for any history on this dresser. Maker Stamp states "UNITED Furniture Corporation" Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. There was some termite damage to the very bottom that we have already treated for. The person we bought this from stated it had been in her family for as long as she can remember and she was in her 60's. She also mentioned that years ago she painted it white before retiring it to her husbands shop that had a dirt floor (hence the termites). Not sure what the hardware is made of but seems to be quite ornate along with the detailed drawer fronts. There are more detailed images here - https://flic.kr/s/aHsksQ6B2e

Thank you,

Jeanine

Answer
Jeanine - Your dresser was factory made in Lexington, NC. It is not an antique. Based on the hardware, which is made of nonmagnetic "pot metal", and the plastic guide that holds the drawer divider, it appears the cabinet was made in the 1950s or early 1960s. It also obviously used to have a mirror. If you have the mirror it will be dated. Virtually all  20th century American plate mirror included in furniture is dated. The date is in dark gray on the gray side of the mirror glass itself. You will have to remove any paper or wood backing to see the back of the glass and the date. This is further explained and illustrated in my book “HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE” found on my website.  In some cases there is no date. This may be because the original mirror has been replaced, the mirror has been resilvered or the mirror was not made in the United States.

Both the primary and secondary wood is red oak. The back panel is cardboard.

While not an antique this cabinet probably has a very long life expectancy, if kept off dirt floors.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor