Collectibles-General (Antiques)/vintage stroller

Question
side view
side view  

handle view
handle view  
I have this very nice wicker stroller which I do not know the manufacture, however it is very nice piece. the rubber on wheels is a bit loose, but brakes and recliner works well. There is a lever that I think allows it to swivel up under the carriage. I was not able to find a manufacture. Hope you can help.

Lonnie

ps. doll comes with...:)

Answer
Hi Lonnie,

What you have there is a Lloyd Loom doll or baby buggy (I can't tell size from the pictures), that was made sometime between 1917 when the Lloyd Loom weaving process began, and the 1930s.

If there is no manufacturer's label anywhere, then we cannot identify the maker, because there were so many companies cranking out this type of doll carriage and the full-size baby buggies. They were extremely popular and all the manufacturers were jumping on the bandwagon to sell them.

From the pictures you posted, it looks like the buggy has been repainted, as it doesn't seem to be in original color. And the Eisen glass round windows appear to be missing, too.

And then if you look about mid-way down the body of the buggy, you will see that the weaving is smashed in all around the body. So at some time, something was set on top of the buggy to cause it to collapse.

As you said, there's a turn-about mechanism underneath that allows the buggy body to turn around so the baby can face toward or away from the mother. And the hood also goes back and forth, too. There might also be a hidden compartment in the bottom with a sliding "lid", where mother's could store the diapers or blankets, so check for that too.

Wooden spokes and handle and undercarriage all look to be in good shape and condition, with the exception of the few cracks on the rubber that you mentioned.

Set this beauty in a corner of your living room or bedroom and use for a great conversation piece or place to show off your doll collection!

Hope this helps! Be sure to visit my site for articles, tip sheets, blog posts and more on how to care for your wicker!

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

The Wicker WomanŽ-Cathryn Peters