Collectibles-General (Antiques)/American Seating Co.

Question
American Seating Co. Desk
American Seating Co. D  

American Seating Co. Stamp
American Seating Co. S  
Hi.  I just purchased this desk at a sale and it is stamped American Seating Company.  I'm interested in possibly restoring it to its original condition but I'm not finding any images online for a desk like this to know how to restore the top.  The top veneer has been removed.  Would be interested in your opinion of its restored value.

Michelle in Kentucky

Replying to this message will send it to the intended recipient

Answer
I have looked through 100s of pictures and cannot find this desk.  I find the same top on metal bases but not on the wood base like yours.  The style of base with this top indicates to me it is 1931-39 vintage.  Even the configuration of the label is elusive.  That is not unusual in labeling but it does tell us the desk was manufactured after opening the plant in Grand Rapids.

I am not sure that the veneer on the top is gone.  Are there not three layers there?  If so then this would be an early type of plywood.

This can be glued back together or it can be replaced.  Better if you can repair but it is time consuming.  Retail value of this desk, in good condition would be round 400$.  Ones with tops like this had no drawers, just the openings but the ends of the dividers rather than looking like the end grain of a board had end caps with the grain running vertically and the end caps were slightly rounded.

Hope this is helpful.
If i find more information I will add it to the post.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein