Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Angelus Furniture antique leaf table

Table top
Table top  

Leaf section open and legs
Leaf section open and  
My husband and I would like to know more about the table we purchased today.  There is a moving leaf mechanism that is intact, and the legs are different than others we have seen. We are interested in history and fair market value.
Thank you so much!! We are looking forward to your response.
Valerie and Tom

Valerie - Angelus Furniture Co opened in Los Angeles in 1901. It has been through several owners. Here is the company history.

Your table is from the Depression era of the 1930s. The style is William and Mary from the late 1600s. The table top is made of stump cut walnut veneer. Stump cut or butt cut walnut was the most decorative veneer used in the Depression era of the 1920s and 1930s when your table was made. Stump cut veneer is cut from the stump of a walnut tree below ground level where the grain pattern is very confused and erratic. The legs and stretchers are a secondary wood, probably gum.
The concealed folding leaf was very popular in the 1930s and 1940s.

Your table would sell at auction (fair market value) in the $200 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida