Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Chairs - Charlotte Chair Co.

Question
Picture of Charlotte Chairs
Picture of Charlotte C  
Tag on bottom of chair
Tag on bottom of chair  
QUESTION: Hello Mr. Klein,

I was very happy to find someone with your expertise who might be able tell me the value of these chairs that I found.

I live in a small town in Urbana, Ohio that was founded in 1809.  Our community had a Spring Cleaning day this week where folks could put furntiture, appliances, mattresses, etc. on the curb and they would be collected for disposal.

As I drove down Boyce Street which is occupied by built circa 1900, I saw these two chairs out for collection.  I stopped to look at them and noticed the quality cushion covers and that the screws were flathead screws.  This indicated to me that they were semi-old and since they were sturdy with in-tact cushion covers, I loaded them up and brought them home.

I google searched the company name and saw where you had commented on similar chairs in the past, and so I propose my questions...

When were these chairs made, what does the AA grade signify, what is their value, what does the 14108 number at the top mean and should I make any restoration attempts besides wiping them down...like using carpet cleaner on the cushions or attempting to remove what appears to be globs of paint on one of them.

I would like to sell them, not keep them.

I've attached two pictures as you requested and have more if you would like them.  I've enhanced the picture of the tag from the bottom of one of the chairs to make it more readable.

Both of the tags have the same markings.

For your reference, what I read the tags I see....

***"14108" (a production number?) stamped at the top
***"2192 MAHOG" following "No."
***Nothing printed next to the "Cover No." but in person it does appear that the paper has a raised area that seems to make a number 8, but not sure.
***"AA" next to "Grade" (the AA is more easily apparent on the other chair)

note..in the picture one of the chairs is in shadow and the other is in sun which is why they appear to have different amount of wear. The colors on both are vibrant.

Thank you very much....hope I didn't bore you with too many details.

I look forward to your response.

ANSWER: Thank you for giving so much detail.  It is very frustrating to get a post asking "whats my desk worth and how old?"  The more info i get the better i can help.  You can find info online about the company.

I cannot read the label well so thanks for referencing the writing in the post.

14108 (a production number?) stamped at the top
inventory, production, style numbers

***"2192 MAHOG" following "No."

inventory, style number, or color number; MAHOG means mahogany stain or color (there are several)

this would be proprietary to the company as we would not know what their highest grade is.  could be as high as AAAA or it could be as high as AA and could relate only to the chairs you have.

as to clean up:
use a paste furniture wax like Briwax, toluene free, in the antique mahogany color.

for the upholstery, remove the slip seats and use any good upholstery cleaner following directions carefully.

these usually sell in pairs at 75-125 each in good shops.

Chairs are 1920-1940 and are generally seen with the mahogany dining tables with sabre shaped legs coming off columns.

hope this helps
thanks

QUESTION: Thanks for your response...very helpful.

A little more info: I understand these may be Duncan Phyfe Style chairs.

Regarding the AA rating:  I've seen a couple of images of these furniture tags online.  The grades were "B" and "C"

I understand that you don't know the company's rating scale, but have a couple of questions about grading systems:

What does the "Grade" indicate? I'm assuming it's something to do with quality of the materials that were used or workmanship?  What aspects of a chair are evaluated in order to come up with a Grade?

Does it change the value?  ie. would two chairs of the same model and in the same condition with one being rated a B and one being rated AA make a difference in value?

Is the rating specific to the individual chair or is it a rating of the model of chair?

Thank you very much.  Extremely pleased with your service.

Joe

Answer

BK
The general public does often use the term Duncan Phyfe style on chairs made in this form.  Federal style and Sheraton also works.  What we have to remember is that all shops and cabinetmakers worked out of similar pattern books in that era, around 1800 + - 20 years.  They made what sold and what customers wanted.  If you look at the pattern books of Sheraton, Chippendale, Hepplewhite, Duncan Phyfe, Adams you will see much repetition and overlap merged with various styles.   That being said, there have been no 'new styles' since the pyramids were built...Only variations.

BK
This could have been proprietary to the company and truly could have been materials or style, probably not workmanship.  Also, it could have been the fabric.  Fabric can make a chair a higher grade in style.  Generally what we see in the old catalogs was 'common, standard and high grade'.  Usually that dictated the style.  Ford Sable, Crown Victoria, Mercury Marquis, Lincoln Town Car.  Chevy Belaire, Chevy Biscayne, Chevy Impala.

BK
On these chairs I would say that it does not and would not affect the value.  Now, on a Wooten desk, there is a huge difference between the standard and the high or superior grade.

BK
There again, the rating could be either since we do not know exactly what it means within the company purview.
You should keep in mind that these were turned out by the train load.  All of the factories worked like that.  They would get an order for 1000 chairs then fill the order and there would have been other companies doing the same.  Without labels, when referring to manufactured furniture, it is difficult at best and more often impossible to determine which company without labels.
There are a few companies still making this style and to the untrained eye sold in shops as 1920-40 antique collectible chairs.

BK
I hope this helps, sometimes there are no specific answers.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein