Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Bristol trunk

Good evening Mr. Miller
I am writing in question of a BRistol trunk that I have bought and stripped. It had been painted a horrible color and could tell the underlying quality. It was interesting to me that it has a faux alligator texture but it is actually metal. It has its original wheels and lining but unfortunately is missing its handles and interior shelf/tray. I realize that this will effect it's worth but I don't want to sell anyhow. I would like to know how much it is worth though.
Can I send you pics of it and you help me with the appraisal?

The alligator pattern embossed metal was designed and patented in 1885 and then used by many trunk companies in the U.S. into the early 1900's.  It became very popular, but there were at least a couple dozen other metal patterns that were also used such as stars, leaves and vines, flowers, etc.  Yes, you can email pictures to me directly at and I will see what I can tell you about the trunk. It's true that any missing parts will lower the value some on antique trunks but they can be replaced.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.