Collectibles-General (Antiques)/chair ID

chair top
chair top  
QUESTION: sorry, I forgot the picture.

ANSWER: use the followup function and post a picture of the label,

and please repost the first post information, i forgot to save it.

QUESTION: sorry, I have messed this up from the beginning. I bought 6 chairs and a table at an estate sale. The table had a paper tag but only the corners remain.  It has stamped into the wood BMCO with 1025 under it.  The O may be a U.  Each chair has a W W stamped into the under side or M M.   The date under the chair is July 4, 1916.  Each chair has 2, what appears to be bakelite pieces. One on the top and one on the front of the chair.  Can you give me any info as to the maker or anything would be appreciated.  Thank you.

ANSWER: All is good, I often have to ask for more information or pictures to better help.
The decorations are called compo.  It is more like gesso and glue rather than bakelite.  If paint remover is used it will soften the decorations.  This I found out the hard way about 40 years ago and had to remake some that softened-actually more of a slow melt.

I would ask you to send a picture of the label to my email address, along with this post so i can match it up.  Seeing the label will help me to find the manufacturer in my files.

QUESTION: Here is a picture of the stamp on the bottom of the table and the W W or M M stamped on the bottom of each chair.
Thank you

the stamp could be anything from an owner to an uphlolster to whoever assembled the seat.

we would have no way of knowing.

I will eventually find the BMCO meaning as I have seen i before.

i am certain it is for Bxxx Manufacturing Company.  i have checked several sources but keep coming up with metal works.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971