Collectibles-General (Antiques)/German Shrunk - Questions

Question
Shrunk
Shrunk  
QUESTION: My mother in law was given this shrunk by one of her military friends when they returned from overseas. She said it was about 80 years old, so that would put it at about 1935 or so.  Tried looking up information online and found some similar looking ones, but wasn't for sure.  Looks like its purpose was a china cabinet. Just curious to see what you think about it as far as era/year as well as use for this particular type of shrunk. We enjoy it and would like to know more about it. Thank you for your help and expertise!

ANSWER: At first glance, it looks more like post WWII, but I need to see photos of the back of the cabinet and a close up of the foot of the cabinet, and I will try to tell you more. Why do you think it is German?

Back
Back  

Front
Front  
QUESTION: Because my mother-in-law said that the friend that bought it overseas was in Germany and he bought this German shrunk while he was there and then had it shipped to them from Germany. If it looks otherwise, please let me know your thoughts.  I have attached pictures as you had asked regarding the legs/feet and back of the shrunk.

Answer
This is a china cabinet / buffet or as the Germans call it a shrunk. The style was inspired from the French art deco period, but the fact that the wood grain is not going in the same direction and the design of the feet is not the way the French build furniture, so, it certainly is German. There are a few details that make me think this piece is not as old as you think, but the back of the Shrunk does look like it is from the late 1930s. I can not really tell you much more, I hope this was helpful.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Michael Andrew Wilson