Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Old Trunk

Question
image 1
image 1  

image 2
image 2  
I got this trunk from an older lady who said it was her Fathers. I was thinking about making a coffee table out of it but I would had to do anything to it before I know more. It doesn't have the inside tray but there is a lady on the the inside top. If you could maybe tell me around how old and if its worth anything, I would appreciate it so much!
Thanks!

I can get more pictures if you need them. it only lets me upload 2.

Answer
1911 trunk catalog
1911 trunk catalog  
Keshia,

Your trunk is a flat top canvas covered trunk of the early 1900's, a style made by many American trunk companies from about 1900 to the early 1920's. The pictures in the lid,called chromolithographs,were printed by large printing companies and sold to trunk makers. There were many different types of the pictures used in the trunks and I have seen that one a few times before. It would be fine for you to use this trunk as a coffee table and many people do that with this type.  Some people carefully cut the old canvas off and refinish the wood on these, but some prefer to leave them as they are.  I'm attaching a trunk catalog page from 1911 with a similar trunk so you can see what they said about them from the makers. These trunks in that condition without the inside tray have a value in the range of around $100 to $150 in most areas, higher in some.  Enjoy using your antique trunk.

Marvin  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller