Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Sega Mad Money Slot Machine

Question
I recently purchased the above mentioned slot machine. Upon reading that Sigma would not send them to the US because of copyright violation, attached to Alfred E Newman. How did my machine get into the USA undetected, as it is obvious the 6D
has been scratched off the circle near the coin slot. Am I in violation of the copyright act by owning this machine??
I would also like to know where I could buy a operating/parts manual for the machine. Any help in this matter would be appreciated.

Answer
Hi Pete,
That copy-write was true way back then, which was the Mad Magazines "Alford E. Neman's figure", but it was to stop Sega from making models intended for use and shipping to the USA to be used for commercial machines, and it did. Sega did not make any for distribution to or for the USA. The ones that are over here now have been brought here after they were no longer wanted for use as commercial machines. They were brought in to the USA by collectors and by the container loads as antiques. Also this is the reason none of them are on the U.S. coins, but made for foreign coin amounts. Years ago Sega bought one of the best and unused sets of three sets of Mills dies, when Mills was going out of business, so Sega machines are made and stamped from the Mills original Dies. This is why a Mills manual will work just fine for these machines, yes the outside of sega machines look different and the coin escalator is a little different, but the mechanism for the most part is the same as a Mills machine. I have a great manual that will work well for your machine and if you interested, write me at Info@coinslots.com and I will tell you about it. As far as wanting to know if you are in any danger about the copy-write, I am not a lawyer but as far as my advice goes, I would say no, not at all, I have had a few of them myself, and I have seen a lot of them for sale over the years over here, never have I heard of anyone having those kind of problems. Why, because they are no longer useful as a commercial gambling device, there too old and not used anywhere for that here any longer.
Thank You
Rodger Knutson
http://www.coinslots.com

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Rodger Knutson