Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Shaw furniture

Question
Chair
Chair  
Shaw desk
Shaw desk  
QUESTION: I am attaching pictures of a Shaw desk and chair that I own.Please tell me the age and value of the desk. I will try to send a picture that will help you tell me the kind of wood if I can add more than two pictures.  Is the chair a Shaw product? Please tell me the age and value of the chair, also.  I need to know the type of wood for each, if you can tell from the picture. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you in advance.

ANSWER: We cannot know who made the chair without a label.  More often than not items were not labeled.  Many manufacturers made this style, 1000s.

The desk is a cordovan stained mahogany veneer.  Legs may or may not be mahogany, it was common for sweet gum to be used and stained to match.

This is a spinnet desk.  The legs screw out of the frame for transport.

Made around 1900-1920s and would sell in a shop at 450-600 depending one the conditon and type of store.

Chair as a single would sell at 45-65 and is from the same time slot.

Hope this helps.

thanks

QUESTION: Very helpful.  Thanks so much.

The chair has a label on it but doesn't say the manufacturer.  I am attaching a picture.   Maybe you can recognize something there.

What does 1000's mean?

Can you tell me anything about Alba China, if I send a picture?

ANSWER: Thousands of manufacturers.

no picture was attached.

i know nothing about china, only furniture and tools.

chair
chair  
QUESTION: I will try to send picture again.  Is there anyone in your group that knows something about Alba China?

Answer
1000's meant thousands of manufacturers.  
I cannot read the label as it is not in focus, sorry.

I do not know others in this group, but you may check through the 'ask the expert' page and will probably find someone here.  They will need a good clear and n focus photo to help.  one of any markings and one of the pattern.

thanks

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein