Collectibles-General (Antiques)/antique buffet

Looking for info on an old buffet i found.. has stamped numbers on each drawer and one has a swastika stamped in it as well .. wooden casters and dove tail joints.. i want to paint it but do not want to ruin the value..

Melody - Your buffet is from the second quarter of the 20th century and has no antique or collector value. The rule of thumb in most 20th century furniture is that well done repair, refinish and restoration will improve both the appearance and current market value. That also includes paint.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida