Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique (?) Cane Rocking Chair

Rocking Chair 1
Rocking Chair 1  

Rocking Chair 2
Rocking Chair 2  
I bought this rocking chair for $20 and would like to know if it is worth re-caning the seat.  I am not sure how old the rocker is but it looks like the left-hand arm was replaced with a very good replica at some point.  Other than the missing seat, the chair is in good condition with some minor scratches here and there.  I am considering replacing the seat with a padded seat but didn't want to lower the value of the chair if it is valuable.

Recaning with prewoven cane, which this takes, should only cost 100-150 tops.

I would say do it, it is a good rocker.

could you post a picture closer and of the rear, in focus. use the followup function so the posts will be threaded.

a close clear picture of the arm you suspect has been replaced, why do you think it has been replaced?

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971