Collectibles-General (Antiques)/antique cane seat side chairs

antique cane seat chairs
antique cane seat chai  

Nail on underside of side chair
Nail on underside of s  
Hello Robert,

Welcome back!  I was wondering if you could tell me the approximate time period and value of my four hand-planed, hand-sawn antique cane seat chairs.  They were recaned in 1978.  Looks like straight saw marks and planed areas under the seat with irregular screws and nails.  Many thanks for any information you can give me.

picture number two is not hand sawn marks.  they are a power band saw.  hand sawn would not be regular as these are.   Chairs are factory made but that does not hurt anything.  They were made around 1880-1890.  cant tell you the wood as the photo is too far.  This style and time many woods were used and most were stained to a walnut color whether walnut, maple, cherry, sweet gum, or tulip poplar was used.  Most of the time you will fine multiple woods.

there is about $200 worth of caning in the seat figuring about 100 holes in the seat perimeter.

in a good shop, ready for a new home the chairs would retail at 150 per chair.  in a high end store perhaps more if coupled with a good table.

hope this is what you need.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971