Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Empire Sofa - Era and Remaining value

Sofa detail
Sofa detail  
Empire sofa
Empire sofa  
QUESTION: Hello Robert

I'm curious about whether this sofa is American Empire or Empire Revival? I'd like to be able to tell my uncle who is a history buff and has fond memories of this piece from his childhood, when it was in better condition.

I inherited my grandparents furniture when my mother passed away last year. I need to find a new home for this sofa. As you will probably be able to see in the photos the veneer has lots of chips in it. Do you think this sofa has any remaining value as a project piece? If I am going to advertise it and ask for money, what do you think would be a fair price? I realize it really depends on who answers my ad but I'd be interested in your opinion on how salvageable this sofa is.Thanks in advance for your input.

ANSWER: You will have to use the follow up function to do more pictures. And email me several pictures of the sofa for me to determine when. You may have to send several pictures and my email address as well I need a full view picture front and rear and side and I need pictures from underneath

Sofa front view
Sofa front view  

Empire sofa side view
Empire sofa side view  
QUESTION: Here is a photo of the front and side. I will send some additional larger photos.

thanks for the photos.

condition is as to be expected.  

sofa is 1830s. mahogany veneers.  pine secondary wood.  back should be wood behind the cover somewhat like underneath where the wide pine boards are located.

these do not sell for much since there is considerable work to make usable with restoration and upholstery.

can you give me some history and information how you came by this?

retail in a shop as it sits bout 300-400.   restored value will be what you have invested in the restoration--if done properly.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971